Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Homeschooling - Have you had your greens today?

It is extremely important to me that my children learn the value of food.
I want them to want to eat healthy food because I want them to take care of their bodies.
I think part of this is talking about food every single day.
Why we eat it, what it is good for, why we need to eat it.

I know some people think I am nuts, over the top when it comes to the way I feed my children.

I  think it is crazy to go under the knife for bi pass surgery at 50 or 60 just because you didn't watch what you ate.We  have the knowledge, so why not use it?

I personally would rather watch what I eat now then be in a hospital bed at 50 or lack in energy the way I see so many 30 year old's do. I only get this one body and I take that responsibility seriously. It is my job to teach my children about healthy eating. Lord knows the media or the food industry does not have my children's best interests at heart.


So we started Juicing! My girls absolutely love it. 
I get them to go and pick apples, beets and carrots 
from the garden and I let them use the sharp knife.
 This is pretty special in our house, not sure about yours?
 It's so easy , just cut up your veggies and put them in the juicer and you have pure fruit juice!


I have often wanted to start, but just didn't really understand why juicing is so good for you. But look at all these veggies !!! Plus I added 4 big apples and one more carrot. Now that is a lot of veggies in one sitting. And the way I feel is worth it all.

I think a lot of moms will be saying? but my kids will never drink that"
I have a couple tips that might help.

First of all really explain to them what these food do to their body. They heal us, they give us energy and make us strong and help us fight sickness.
If you get your kids to plant, then water and weed and then pick the food they will be much more likely to want to eat it. 
And juicing is fun, they get to pick exactly what they want in their juice.
After we make it we look online to find out what it does for our body. Or if you have an extra kid get them to look it up while you are juicing and read it aloud to you.

Our juicer costs around $300. It works great!
We have to cut up the veggies before putting them in, but we don't have to core the apples or anything. And to wash the thing is pretty easy.













It is  worth giving juicing a try. I know it's not for everyone, but the health benefits are worth it.
I am so passionate about living a healthy life. And every time we juice I feel like I am giving a gift to my children. I feel so fortunate to be able to give them healthy food. We have so much knowledge at our finger tips. But all that knowledge doesn't help anyone unless we use it.

No comments:

Post a Comment