Friday, August 10, 2012

Learning about our blood

We got up bright and early and left for the lab to take our blood.
The perfect homeschooling opportunity to learn about why we do this and what it tells us.
Here is a cute little video as well
http://kidshealth.org/kid/feel_better/things/med_videos_landing.html?tracking=K_RelatedArticle

They took alot of blood


Next we waited int he waiting room and the girls were WILD!

So i thought to myself, how can i be teaching here int his moment?
So i got the girls to look out the window, for 30 seconds and observe.
Then we each had to say what we remembered from looking outside.
Then we got our EKG
Here is a cute video on it
http://kidshealth.org/kid/feel_better/things/med_videos_landing.html?tracking=K_RelatedArticle
We asked the Tech a lot of questions and she was wonderful.
So these are the 3 tests we did today
The girls were especially excited how full I made my bottle, and of course exclaimed loudly to their Daddy, that Mommy sure can pee a lot, she made the cup so full !

I also loved this video about blood, it is visually appealing and short.
The Components of Blood and Their Importance 


And my kids LOVED this one, it even kept my 2 year old interested, and she usually doesn't like movies.I personally hated it. LOL
But they loved it so much we watched episode 2 and 3 as well.
 
And then of course they had to tell me what they learned. And my 5 year old drew a picture about what she learned and my 9 year old wrote a page on Blood. I let her take it where she wanted too, I also let her use the computer to search more information to write about. I suggested writing about what red and white blood cells do and also what platelets do in our bodies. Since we are just beginning our school year this is ok for me, but as we continue my goal is to work on her listening skills and attention span as well. So we will do some lessons where i will not let her search the interent, but rather write on what she remembers.


Another suggestion is to find pics on the internet and make a collage.
Today was a short day, Kaylani has been on a sleep over and she was just exhausted. But that is one of the amazing things about homeschooling, we get to do what we want when we want to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment